Considering teeth play an instrumental part in enjoying successful, healthy lifestyles, it’s surprising how little some know about their own pearly whites. Your Barrington IL dentist addresses a few FAQs about teeth, so let’s see how familiar you are with your smile.
1. How many teeth does the average person have?—32 including wisdom teeth.
2. What are the different kinds of teeth?—Incisors, canines, premolars and molars.
3. What are the different parts of a tooth?—1.The crown: the visible part. 2.The root: comprises some 2/3rds of the actual tooth, is below the gum-line and anchors the tooth to the jawbone.
4. What are the four kinds of tissue that teeth are composed of?—Pulp, cementum, dentin, enamel.
5. What is tooth enamel and how strong is it?—Enamel is made up of calcium and phosphorus. It is the hard outer surface layer of the tooth that serves to protect it from decay. It is considered the hardest mineral surface in the body, even stronger than bone, but still it requires your regular assistance to prevent serious damage from developing.
6. What is the difference between plaque and tartar?—Both are bad for your teeth but plaque is soft, sticky, and can easily be removed by brushing, flossing and rinsing. Tartar forms when plaque accumulates and is not removed from teeth. It is hard, non-sticky and can only be removed professionally by a qualified dentist like Dr. Jackson. That is one excellent reason to schedule visits to the dentist every 6 months or so.
Of course, it’s one thing to know about teeth and what’s required to maintain good oral health, but it’s another to diligently carry it out. Boost the health and smile-ability of your teeth by contacting your go-to Barrington IL dentist at the Chicago Center for Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry today.