A chronically dry mouth is an aggravating condition that can result in mouth sores, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing, and bad breath. As a patient-favorite Barrington IL dentist,Dr. Jackson highlights with his patients that suffering from a dry mouth is more than just a nuisance. It can also increase the likelihood of developing gingivitis (serious gum disease), tooth infections, and various oral infections such as thrush.
A dry mouth stems from the mouth’s inability to produce saliva in a sufficient supply. Saliva is an essential body fluid in aiding digestion, cleaning and flushing away bacteria and food debris from the mouth, protecting teeth enamel, and keeping gums healthy. What are some of the main causes of a chronically dry mouth?
- Side-effects from diseases including diabetes, HIV/AIDS, Alzheimer’s, hypertension, anemia, lymphoma, Sjögren’s syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, Hepatitis C, and Parkinson’s disease
- Nerve damage to the head and neck areas from injuries or surgery
- Using tobacco products
- Hormone changes during pregnancy or menopause
- Various prescription and non-prescription medications including antidepressants, pain killers, and muscle relaxants
- Medical treatments such as radiation therapy for head and neck cancers
If you’re regularly suffering from a dry mouth, it’s a good idea to book an appointment with your knowledgeable Barrington IL dentist right away. Dr. Jackson can review your medical situation, examine your oral health, and provide the professional assistance to get your mouth healthy again.